LEAPS | Lacrosse. Education. Attitude. Perseverance. Success.
John Christmas and Eric Gregg founded LEAPS in 2009 to inspire and create opportunities for the under-served, last frontier of Philadelphia youth in the sport of lacrosse. Christmas, a Philadelphia native, has dedicated his life to sharing his passion of lacrosse, a sport which enabled him to attend and play at the #1 public university in the country, the University of Virginia.
The LEAPS foundation aims to provide academic and athletic opportunity through the following methods:
- Expose student-athletes to lacrosse early in their formative years
- Facilitate health education and academic programming to augment lessons learned through the team sport experience
- Introduce participants to scholarship opportunities via lacrosse
- Implement programming within participants’ neighborhoods to improve communities and avoid displacing potential leaders
- Provide basic instruction and mentoring opportunities for coaches
- Incrementally develop the Philadelphia United Lacrosse League as a community-based lacrosse league